Yum, these little guys are so tasty...
Paleo Lemon curd ingredients...
4 lemons (or 1 full cup of lemon juice)
Zest of 2 lemons
1/2 cup raw bush honey
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp coconut flour
5 egg yolks (keep the whites for the meringue)
1st. Place Lemon juice, zest and honey in a med sauce plan at med/low temperature.
2. Mean while in a small mixing bowl add coconut flour, and coconut milk mix until you can form a soft ball of "coconut dough".
3. Add the "coconut dough" to the now heated and combined lemon mix. With a whisk, or blender mix until all lumps are gone.
It will look like this
4. Now that the first two steps are together. Before your lemon and "coconut dough" begin to simmer give your egg-yolks a little bit of whisk up.
5. Do not forget about this mix you have on the stove. Ensure that you are whisking it often as you don't want to burn it. It should now be simmering.
6. You reached simmering point on the step above. Now you're at the last step of your curd. I grabbed my blender, or a whisk, and In the other hand your egg-yolks. While whisking slowly add your yolks in. Continue to whisk for a further 2-3 minutes or until thickened and looks similar to above. Now set a side and cool.
7. Add the paleo lemon curd to your tart shells (I have a recipe for these shells also on my blog, with step by steps instructions labeled as, Paleo sweet "pastry" Shells").
Pre heat your oven to 200c
Ingredients for paleo meringue...
2 tbsp Raw bush honey
1. Add the egg-white, and honey to a large mixing bowl and whisk.
2. Whisk until the mix has reached "peak" form.
My scooped mix
3. Scoop, pipe, blob, or how ever you would like the paleo meringue mix onto the top of the lemon curd filled tart shells. Now bake for around 6-10 minutes. All ovens will vary. My oven is older than I am so it took awhile, and didn't brown as nice as I'd liked.
I would serve these cold, as all the ingredients tend to have molded together much better once they have settled. The meringue mix will be a slight yellow color as its paleo and i didn't use white sugar, I used raw bush honey. Also the lemon curd will be a bit milky looking due to the coconut milk. I cooled the lemon meringue tarts for an hour in the fridge. Then passed one onto my critic to test! I hope you Enjoy them as much as he did.