Monday 18 April 2011

Savory Pie Shell...





This is such an easy savory "pastry" shell to make. High in protein, and low in carbohydrates!



Ingredients...

pre-heat oven to 180c
2 cups almond meal
2 eggs
1 tbsp olive oil
1tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1tsp cumin seeds
coconut flour (to flour your dough and bench)




 1. Dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl



 2. Add wet ingredients and form your dough into a ball




 3. Flour (heavily) your bench and give your dough a little kneed




 4. On your now cleaned bench lay a sheet of plastic wrap flat. Place your dough in the center. Re flour and roll your dough out.



 5. Your rolled out dough should look like this. I then grab both sides of my plastic wrap and flip my rolled out pastry shell into my greased 10inch "pop" cake tin.



6. I work my pastry shell as it is rather "form-able" around the caked tin until it was mostly lined. I then with a fork put just a few small holes in the base (this will keep your shell from ballooning). Place your pastry shell in the oven for only 8 minutes to "par-bake" it.



There you have it! An easy savory Pie base you could really fill with anything! 
 Enjoy...


When filling with a pie mix I would, Pre cook your pie filling. Add it to your pre made shell and bake at only around 180c. You don't want to burn your shell. Remember it is made of almonds and they toast up easily!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment